Vice-Rector of the Pan African University (PAU)
Vice-Rector of the Pan African University (PAU)
Apply by November 4th, 2019.
The Pan African University (PAU) is looking for a Vice-Rector, long-term position based at PAU’s Rectorate in Yaoundé, Cameroon, who will support the five thematic Institutes located in Algeria, Cameroon, Kenya, Nigeria, and South Africa.
Please find the job description and requirements for the Vice-Rector position at https://bit.ly/2OxRVmZ
In order to apply for either position, please register on the African Union e-recruitment website http://aucareers.org/
This is an executive position within the Pan African University’s Management structure. Reporting to the Rector, the holder of this position will serve as the Chief Academic Officer and will provide leadership for the planning, development, implementation, coordination, standards, assessment, and administration of all academic programs and academic support, including oversight of Libraries resources. He/She shall also be in charge of student affairs, and will provide the executive leadership and accountability for the administration, development, assessment and improvement of student services and experiences which meet and support the University’s vision and missions In addition, He/she shall serve as Chief University Advancement executive charged with raising the overall profile of the University and coordinating alumni, diaspora and private sector relations.
- Coordinate the planning, development and evaluation of academic programs, policies, procedures and guidelines
- Coordinate the evaluation and review of academic programs and curriculum development
- Coordinate with the relevant national, regional, continental and international accreditation and quality assurance agencies
- Supervise the Directors of the five thematic institutes and affiliate centres, and evaluating their recommendations for faculty hiring, promotion, and tenure and forwarding them to the Rector
- Supervise budget preparation for the academic and academic-related programs.
- Responsible for planning, developing and implementing innovative and proactive programs, services, and procedures which respond to the changing needs and requirements of the University’s student community and which enhance the University’s viability for student recruitment and retention purposes.
- Serve as the Chief spokesperson for the Rector on matters related to academic and student affairs
- Foster cross-Institute co-operation in the furtherance of the University’s Mission Statement and Strategic Plan and in the effective utilization of University resources Tasks
- Serve as the chief advisor to the Rector on strategic matters related to planning and educational services issues and other administrative concerns of the University
- Coordinate the development of diaspora and alumni and private sector relations xi. Promote and implement the University’s policies on equal opportunities
- Perform other related tasks and related responsibilities as assigned by the Rector
Required Skills and Competencies Professional Skills
- Highly conversant in the cultures and changing landscapes of higher education internationally • Working knowledge of policy analysis and development and programme/project management, implementation and monitoring; • Strong background of research and publications, a prominent profile in the relevant academic community and a proven record of effective leadership and management experience at a senior level in an academic/research institution • Experience in fund-raising for international projects • Leadership • Uses strong managerial and supervisory skills to achieve documented objectives. • Engages in effective delegation and follow up to ensure results. • Uses tact and political savvy in negotiating. • Makes informed decisions and communicates decisions effectively. • Demonstrates flexibility and willingness to collaborate with others to achieve outcomes. • Utilizes strong analytical and problem solving skills. Respect for Diversity • Works effectively with people from various backgrounds. • Treats all people with dignity and respect. Treats men and women equally. • Shows respect and understanding of diverse points of view and demonstrates it in decision-making. • Examines own biases and behaviors to avoid stereotypical responses and does not discriminate against any individual or group. • Creates an environment where respect for diversity is embedded in behaviors, systems and processes. Working with Others • Collaborates effectively with top level stakeholders i.e. the Commission and Senior Management Group. Able to persuade, guide and advise top level stakeholders. • Able to effectively collaborate with stakeholders and partners. • Leads discussions and negotiations on behalf of the Commission on human resources issues. • Creates a culture where knowledge sharing and effective collaboration is encouraged. Vision and Strategic Thinking • Identifies key strategic issues, opportunities and risks. • Clearly communicate links between the organization’s strategy and the Directorate’s goals. • Establish/identify and communicate broad and compelling organizational direction. • Identifies clients’ needs and appropriate solutions. • Establishes and maintains productive partnerships. Communication • Communicates orally with strong interpersonal skills. • Expresses ideas and formulates plans by means of clear and effective writing and oral presentations. • Drafts conceptual and detailed reports/papers and reviews/edits the work of others. • Prepares rationale with respect to key financial and administrative decisions. • Negotiates effectively. Teamwork • Leads and gains the assistance and cooperation of others in a team endeavor. • Builds trust through integrity, transparency and creating an open and positive environment. • Fosters harmonious and effective teamwork in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity Diversity Management • Performs and relates effectively across organizational boundaries in a diverse multi-national and multicultural setting. Technology awareness • Keeps abreast of available technology and understands its applicability to the work of the Organization • Actively seeks, identifies and applies appropriate technology to improve programme delivery. Performance management • Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority. • Establishes clear roles and reporting lines for staff. • Monitors progress against establish milestones • Discuss performance and provide feedback and appraise performance fairly.
Qualifications and Work Experience required:
PhD and a full professor of a recognized University, with ten (10) years of experience at a senior academic management, research position. Having held the administrative positions of Vice Chancellor, Deputy Vice Chancellor, Registrar, or Dean within a university will be an added advantage. The candidate must have a prominent academic profile with evidence of high quality research work in the course of his/her career.
Proficiency in at least one of the African Union working languages (English, French, Arabic, Portuguese); knowledge of other working languages would be an added advantage.
Tenure of Appointment:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months will be considered a probationary period. Thereafter the contract shall be renewable every two years subject to good performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Least Representative Countries Candidates from the following least represented countries are encouraged to apply: Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Rep., Comoros, Congo (DRC), Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ghana, Guinea, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Saharawi Arab D.R., Sao Tome and Principe, Seychelles, Somalia, South Africa and South Sudan.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 61,023.00 (P6 Step 1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment 48% of basic salary, Housing allowance $ 21,832.68 per annum and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.