Executive Director–African Economic Research Consortium (AERC)
SRI Executive Search has been contracted by the African Economic Research Consortium (AERC) to assist with the search for an exceptional candidate to fill the position of Executive Director.
African Economic Research Consortium, established in 1988, is a premier capacity building and knowledge institution in the advancement of research and training to inform economic policies in sub-Saharan Africa. It is one of the most active Research and Capacity Building Institutions (RCBIs) in the world, with a focus on Africa.
The Executive Director is the Chief Executive Officer and has overall responsibility for the implementation of programmes and services of the Consortium, as well as overseeing the Secretariat. He/she reports to the Board and has broad responsibilities for the development and implementation of the Consortium’s strategic goals and the management of its resources. He/she is responsible for the effective communication of the Consortium’s programmes and results to the AERC network, donors and policymakers as well as ensuring that AERC has a high and positive organizational profile as a premier economics capacity building and knowledge organization in Africa with global reach. The Executive Director overseas management of the financial resources of the Consortium within approved policies and procedures and instils a value for money culture throughout the organization. He/she is responsible for strategic fundraising, including identifying current and future resource requirements, developing fundraising strategies, submitting proposals and ensuring adequate reporting is made to donors and the Board.
PhD in Economics. A strong track record in economics research; and/or experience in overseeing and managing economic research; and/or teaching and supervision in economics at the undergraduate level and post-graduate levels; in depth knowledge of the key economic, social and political policy issues facing African countries
- At least ten years post PHD relevant experience, which will include at least five years’ experience working on Africa and/or working with African policy –oriented institutions in high level capacities.
- Experience in working with international organizations and preferably in economic research as well as training and building capacity of researchers.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and successfully implement a strategic plan.
- Experience in interacting with senior decision‐makers in the public and private sectors.
- Highly published in recognised journals with evidence of clear impact; highly recognised expert within the network or academicians and professionals.
- Has familiarity with AERC and understands its mandate and complex structure.
- Demonstrated ability and/or strong experience in working with and managing boards
- Experience in engaging with private sector successfully both for program partnerships as well as fundraising.
- Demonstrated visionary leadership and management skills
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and innovation
- Good interpersonal and negotiating skills
- Able to give AERC a high profile internationally
- Capability and willingness to raise funds. Has the skills to manage diverse donor networks and to grow the donor base to include traditional and non-traditional donors and partners.
- Makes effective presentation and communicates well
- Able to work under pressure and to meet deadlines
- Can be a strong ambassador for AERC on both regional and international platforms.
- High integrity.
- Demonstrates energy and enthusiasm.
- Willing to travel widely within Africa and internationally
- Excellent English: Ability to speak French is a definite asset
- A strong communicator who can tell the AERC story convincingly to diverse audience
- Has existing strong networks and connections in both political and professional spheres. Is already highly respected in both areas.
How to Apply
If you wish to be considered for this position, please forward a copy of your CV and a supporting letter in Microsoft Word format, along with any relevant documentation Mrs. Jamie Strickler-Connellan at firstname.lastname@example.org. on or before Dec 7th, 2017. All information will be in the strictest confidence as we pride ourselves on our professional service. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.