Program Officer (Research Manager & Program Coordinator)
About the Engagement
The Global Development Network (GDN) and the European Investment Bank (EIB) have initiated an ambitious EIB-GDN Program in Applied Development Finance for tracking and deepening understanding of the results of selected investment operations of EIB’s Africa, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) Impact Financing Envelope (IFE). For this partnership engagement, GDN will identify, train and deploy teams of research professionals in the ACP region to conduct evaluations of EIB projects with a view to understanding the development impacts of IFE. The program will focus on issues such as regional integration, migration, and climate change adaptation and mitigation within the framework of Private Sector Development.
About the Position
GDN is seeking a Program Officer (Research Manager & Program Coordinator) to oversee research management, administration, coordination and service delivery under the engagement. The candidate will be based in New Delhi, India, with occasional travel to EIB headquarters in Luxembourg and EIB project operations in ACP. The Program Officer (PO) will be the operational lead for (i) the creation, training, monitoring and management of the research teams stationed in the investment geographies, and (ii) management and coordination of the GDN Engagement Working Group (EWG) in New Delhi consisting GDN’s Research, IT, Knowledge Management (KM) and Finance personnel. The PO will report to the Senior Economist, GDN, and will interface with EIB as a member of the Program Steering Committee.
About the Responsibilities
- With regards to the research teams, will include:
- Drafting terms of reference (ToR) for the inductees;
- Managing the recruitment and induction processes;
- Acting as a point of contact for research management;
- Overseeing logistical, financial and engagement-related processes;
- Continuous monitoring for quality control and timeliness of delivery; and
- Ensuring and facilitating meaningful interactions between mentors and researchers.
- With regards to the EWG, will include:
- Coordinating with the members singly and collectively for ensuring smooth process flow and operational efficiency;
- Working with GDN’s KM and Finance personnel to produce operational metrics for process improvement and organizational learning; and
- Working with KM and IT personnel to strengthen information archival and retrieval processes.
- With regards to the Senior Economist, will include:
- Providing regular briefing and periodic reports for client management;
- Assisting in creating the handbook/manual on impact investment that is one of the envisaged outputs of the Program; and
- Assisting in program development and refinement.
What We Are Looking For
The PO will be a self-starter who can deliver with minimal supervision, by demonstrating:
- Subject matter expertise in one or more of the earlier mentioned priority areas;
- Proficiency and applied experience in impact assessment/evaluation methodologies with excellent understanding of impact investment;
- Competence in all aspects of program management, especially budgeting, task management and report writing;
- Soft skills to balance between hierarchical and flat management needs; and
- Preferably, program development or other leadership qualities.
- PhD in Economics, Finance, Management, Public Policy/Administration (with undergraduate degree in Economics or related discipline); or Bachelors in Engineering or related field with Masters in Quantitative Economics, Public Policy/Administration or Business Administration (MBA or equivalent);
- 5+ years of research, management, coordination and service delivery experience in national/international development (especially development finance and/or evaluation) with a large consulting company or development or multilateral organization or non-governmental organization (NGO);
- Demonstrated mastery of evaluation methodologies; and
- Demonstrated professional written and oral communication skills in English.
- 5+ academic publications in recognized peer-reviewed journals.
- Evidence of intellectual, programmatic or organizational innovation.
- Demonstrated interest in developing markets.
- Competency in spoken French.
- Fluency in French.
- Fluency in a third major local ACP language.
- Familiarity through research or work with the priority areas.
- Demonstrated experience in program/business development.
- Post-graduate teaching experience.
Compensation and Career Development
This is a fast-track and high-profile position within GDN. The PO will be expected to take over, expand and innovate on the responsibilities of the position. GDN offers competitive remuneration packages.
GDN recruits through a stringent, meritocratic and fair hiring process, and does not discriminate on gender, national origin, religion, or sexual orientation. For the PO position, GDN welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. Nationals of ACP countries are especially encouraged to apply.
The Global Development Network (GDN) is a Public International Organization based in New Delhi, India, dedicated to supporting high-quality, policy-oriented research in the social sciences to promote development, working in particular through partnerships, capacity building and networking. For information on past and current projects, visit www.gdn.int.
Please visit www.gdn.int to know more about GDN’s mission and initiatives. For questions about the position, write to Anindya Chaudhuri, Senior Economist, GDN at firstname.lastname@example.org, marking cc to EIB.email@example.com.
To apply, click on https://gdn.catsone.com/careers/
GDN will continue to accept applications till March 22, 2017, but will start reviewing from March 8, 2017. Interested candidates should apply early.